As you may or may not know, I watch a little bitta British TV. Coming up on May 12 is the 2019 BAFTAs, who's excited?? Quite a lot of our favourites are nominated, let's see!!
The full list can be found here: 2019 BAFTA Nominations List
And here's what we've covered on the site!
Best Drama Series:
- BODYGUARD Production Team - World Productions / BBC One
- INFORMER Jonny Campbell, Rory Haines, Sohrab Noshirvani, Julian Stevens - Neal Street Productions / BBC One
- KILLING EVE Production Team - Sid Gentle Films / BBC One
- SAVE ME Production Team - World Productions / Sky Atlantic
**Allow me to explain about not recapping Killing Eve, because it's going to come up a LOT in this BAFTA post. I did try to recap it, I got to the eye-stabby bit in the first episode.
Also, I'm terribly sorry but I cannot stand Sandra Oh.
For your consideration: Phoebe Waller-Bridge's other amazing show: Fleabag. Enjoy!
FEMALE PERFORMANCE IN A COMEDY PROGRAMME
- DAISY MAY COOPER This Country - BBC Studios / BBC Three
- JESSICA HYNES There She Goes – Merman / BBC Four
- JULIA DAVIS Sally4Ever – Various Artists / Hush Ho Productions / Sky Atlantic
- LESLEY MANVILLE Mum - Big Talk Productions / The Money Men / BBC Two
- BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH Patrick Melrose - Two Cities / SunnyMarch TV / Little Island Productions / Sky Atlantic
- CHANCE PERDOMO Killed By My Debt - BBC Studios: The Documentary Unit / BBC Three
- HUGH GRANT A Very English Scandal - Blueprint Pictures / BBC One
- LUCIAN MSAMATI Kiri - The Forge Entertainment / Channel 4
I know there are a LOT of Cumberwhatsit fans out there, I may even be one, but in this case I have to root for Lucian Msamati from Kiri. To be fair, I watched Kiri for Sarah Lancashire, but my recaps are full of praise for Mr. Msamati's powerful work. The other person in this shot is Nathaniel Martello-White, who was excellent in Collateral.
And now we fete:
- JODIE COMER Killing Eve - Sid Gentle Films / BBC One
- KEELEY HAWES Bodyguard - World Productions / BBC One
- RUTH WILSON Mrs Wilson - Snowed-In Productions / BBC One
- SANDRA OH Killing Eve - Sid Gentle Films / BBC One
MALE PERFORMANCE IN A COMEDY PROGRAMME
- ALEX MACQUEEN Sally4Ever - Various Artists / Hush Ho Productions / Sky Atlantic
- JAMIE DEMETRIOU Stath Lets Flats - Roughcut TV / Channel 4
- PETER MULLAN Mum - Big Talk Productions / The Money Men / BBC Two
- STEVE PEMBERTON Inside No. 9 - BBC Studios / BBC Two
Okay, so I'm recognising Steve Pemberton for his work in Happy Valley series one, it's practically the same as a comedy, yes? Also, apparently I don't have a Steve Pemberton gif, so here's Sarah from the first series.
- A VERY ENGLISH SCANDAL Russell T. Davies, Stephen Frears, Dominic Treadwell-Collins, Dan Winch - Blueprint Pictures / BBC One
- KIRI Jack Thorne, George Ormond, Toby Bentley, Euros Lyn - The Forge Entertainment / Channel 4
- MRS WILSON Ruth Kenley-Letts, Richard Laxton, Anna Symon, Ruth Wilson - Snowed-In Productions / BBC One
- PATRICK MELROSE Production Team - Two Cities / SunnyMarch TV / Little Island Productions / Sky Atlantic
- BANDERSNATCH (BLACK MIRROR) Charlie Brooker, Annabel Jones, David Slade, Russell McLean - House of Tomorrow / Netflix
- CARE Donna Molloy, Colin McKeown, Jimmy McGovern, David Blair - LA Productions / BBC One
- KILLED BY MY DEBT Joseph Bullman, Tahsin Guner, Chris Clough, Aysha Rafaele - BBC Studios: The Documentary Unit / BBC Three
- THROUGH THE GATES (ON THE EDGE) Lisa Walters, Georgia Christou, Stella Coraddi - Blacklight TV / Channel 4
I do not technically have a horse in this game because I did not finish Bandersnatch by Black Mirror. HOWEVER, I do greatly enjoy the vast majority of their episodes (that do not feature bestiality or Choosing Your Own Adventure), so am choosing them. But not my own adventure.
SOAP & CONTINUING DRAMA
- CASUALTY Production Team – BBC Studios / BBC One
- CORONATION STREET Production Team – ITV Studios / ITV
- EASTENDERS Production Team – BBC Studios / BBC One
- HOLLYOAKS Bryan Kirkwood, Emily Gascoyne, Colette Chard, Kevin Rundle – Lime Pictures / Channel 4
I'm not perfectly sure which it is, but the one(s) with the lesbians!
- ALEX JENNINGS Unforgotten - Mainstreet Pictures / ITV
- BEN WHISHAW A Very English Scandal - Blueprint Pictures / BBC One
- KIM BODNIA Killing Eve - Sid Gentle Films / BBC One
- STEPHEN GRAHAM Save Me - World Productions / Sky Atlantic
- BILLIE PIPER Collateral - The Forge Entertainment / BBC Two
- FIONA SHAW Killing Eve - Sid Gentle Films / BBC One
- KEELEY HAWES Mrs Wilson - Snowed-In Productions / BBC One
- MONICA DOLAN A Very English Scandal - Blueprint Pictures / BBC One
I will have to go with Billie Piper of Collateral; I'm glad to see this show recognised as I think it was a good and important one. It also had Nicola Walker! This is Jeany Spark, not Billie Piper because I think she was much better. My choices are arbitrary and final.
This award irritates me; it's loaded with spoilers! I've blanked out the important bits
VIRGIN MEDIA’S MUST-SEE MOMENT (voted for by the public)
- BODYGUARD Julia Montague *********** – World Productions/BBC One
- CORONATION STREET Gail’s Monologue on the Suicide of Aidan Connor – ITV Studios/ITV
- DOCTOR WHO Rosa Parks, The Doctor and Her Companions Make Sure Historical Moments Remain – BBC Studios/BBC One
- KILLING EVE Eve ***********– Sid Gentle Films/BBC One
- PETER KAY’S CAR SHARE The Finale – Goodnight Vienna Productions/BBC One
- QUEER EYE Tom Completes His Transformation – Scout Productions / ITV Entertainment LLC / Netflix
Wow. There is so much to choose from, Bodyguard we've talked about but I will have to go with Peter Kay's Car Share Finale because it was AWESOME and I just loved that series.
**Honourable mention to Queer Eye which is one of the best shows on TV ever. I can't bring myself to recap it because I don't want to examine it, I just want to enjoy it. And I learned from recapping RuPaul's Drag Race, previously my favourite show in the world. Here, my pal Old Ain't Dead reviewed the third season for you: Queer Eye Season 3 Review.
The other awards are more technical, but Bodyguard and Killing Eve feature heavily, as does Patrick Melrose. Do you think the BAFTA judges really just watch 3-6 shows? Coz it looks a lot like the Academy Awards, right? Let me know who you're rooting for in May!